Thailand - first impressions - quick review for english speaking friends :)

Before I came to Thailand I spend few hours in Budapest. Walked pretty fast for 3h all the way up to the hill and around the center. And it was very hot - or at least I thought so ;)
While arrived do Bangkok I quickly realised I'm
in Asia: 1. My bank didnt accept my withdrawal 2. When I left the terminal and was really hoooooot. 3. Barganing taxi down to 200bahts from 700.

Bangkok generally did not really impressed me a lot. I like the night local food shopping neibourhood, randomly met some religious event, I liked the city center and the Grand Palace and all Wats, I liked the amulet market around the Wat Pho but I simply did not fell in love with this city. But it goes along my earlier preferences - big Asian cities are not for me.
Btw. I realised that (at least) Bangkok is much alike Indian cities but there a lot differences as well. Alike: its big, lot ot traffic, stinks of cars, every here and there you have religious temples and at least little statues, way of selling food is te same, regular street shops looks exactly the same. Different: IT'S CLEAN HERE!!!!!!! you barely see any trash on the streets. AND PEOPLE ARE NOT STARING AT YOU NOR CALLING YOU TO SHOP. That was huge surprise for me and GREAT relief :) I just walk down the street and nobody talks to me :)

Grand Palace is something really incredible. Amount of buddhas around, all Wats and the main thing - how rich it is decorated! That is unbelivable-sculptures, mosaics, gold... If you ever were saying that christian churches are too decorated - come here and you will say that are pretty ascetic.
As I didn't enjoy much BKK, I escaped towards north, to Sukhothai. It has big complex of well preserved wats dating from XIII century. I biked that and later on left outside of the main area, got lost so ended up doing around 12-15km instead of 7-8km, right in the midday... but I'm fine although got sunburn ;)
From Sukhothai I'm heading further north, to Chiang Mai.

Komentarze